Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

What Was Lost, Now is Found



I actually managed to finish the two tops that were my goals for July.  I took a picture of the first top on Wednesday out on the deck at our summer house.  I brought the top back into the house and planned to take a picture of the second quilt.  Somehow, I lost the camera on the 20 step trip from the deck back into the dining room.  I searched for the camera, but we had to leave for our 3 hour drive back home.  When we got  back out to the summer house yesterday my husband instantly saw the camera on the floor in the dining room.   Unfortunately, I didn't bring the second top with us so that picture will have to wait.
I absolutely love this quilt.  The blocks were fun to make and it went together easily.

Teal was the July color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  In addition, to the 2 teal blocks, I also managed to finish another  yellow block.  They don't look teal in the pictures so you will have to take my word for it.


I was so pleased at finishing my July goals that I picked out a top to finish for August.  This may be more of a challenge because my son's wedding is on the 24th and it will provide a lot of distractions

This is the plan for August.

Do you think it's too busy?  The blocks finish at 4.5 inches.  The present layout will finish at 54 x 67.5 without borders.   I made the same quilt 2 years ago for the 100 Quilts for Kids challenge.  Somehow that one didn't seem as busy.  I've only sewn 5 of the rows together, so it's not too late to change.  In the top quilt, the blocks with 2 strips of color are vertical.  In the bottom quilt they are horizontal.  That shouldn't make a difference because if you turn the quilt sideways it would be the same.  I thought it might be because the bottom quilt has lighter strips, but many of the blocks in the top quilt are the same as the bottom.  After taking the picture, I did notice 3 blocks near the bottom that don't work well and I will replace them, but that doesn't seem like it's enough to throw off the look of the whole quilt.


Is it just me, or does the bottom one look better?
I will be linking up with the August goal setting party at A Lovely Year of Finishes at Sew Bittersweet Designs.  Hopefully, my brain and camera will cooperate and post my finished quilt on time this month.

9 comments:

  1. OOO! I really like both of the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are fussing too much - I love what you have, dont change anything sweetie. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Love every single layout. Rainbows! Super!

      Delete
  3. They both look great and I agree, the bottom one looks brighter (?), but I wonder if it just the angle from the camera? It looks like a fun pattern to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are lovely and I agree that over-fussing might be happening here. As it does sometimes. I like the pattern-strip piecing is my most fun way to quilt so these fit right into that mold don't they? You have made them very cheerful and that's perfect for this time of year before we get into the rich harvest colors. Happy August, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the bottom one does look different from the top one, and I think it's because you've got the dark going across the short way of the quilt, rather than the long way. On the top quilt, with them going up, it makes it look even longer than it really is - like wearing vertical strips versus horizontal ones. I think both look good, just different!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilts and I will return to you!
    So much nice thing is going on here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your work! The bottom finished quilt is so inviting with all the colors mixed together. The middle layout works well and the rainbow effect is great, but for the life of me I can't see which 3 blocks don't fit. :) Love the top on the first picture and so glad that you found your camera!

    ReplyDelete

I am interested in what you have to say so please leave a comment.